Born 17 March 1963, Melbourne, Victoria
I am privileged to have a life involved in music.
My career is centered around playing the saxophone which I have done since I was twelve.
I started with a concert band and classical musical education at school, took up the flute and went on to achieve A.Mus.A on the saxophone before completing a Bachelor of Arts in Music (Jazz) at the Victorian College of the Arts.
My teaching and professional playing career then began and have always operated concurrently and symbiotically. I’ve been given opportunities in a vast array of musical settings that have encouraged me to play clarinet, oboe, all the saxophones, trumpet and a few other instruments for fun… Actually, it’s all fun!
I’ve mostly been happy to play for other people but have led a few projects and hope to do more in future.
Highlights as a Musician
- Being a long term member of The Daryl McKenzie Jazz Orchestra (formerly The Australian Showband)
- Playing with The Australian Art Orchestra (AAO)
- Being a regular casual member of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO), Orchestra Victoria (OV) and Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra (TSO)
- Featuring as a soloist with the MSO five times
- Playing in orchestras for Stevie Wonder, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, John Farnham, Maria Schneider and other internationals
- Recording sessions for films (Paul Grabowsky AO, David Hirschfelder), albums, etc.
- Performing on Dancing with the Stars and It Takes Two on Channel 7 , and
- Being actively involved in the local scene, over a variety of gigs with some of the fantastic musicians in Melbourne
Highlights as a Teacher
- Head of Jazz, saxophone teacher, and House Arranger/Composer at Presbyterian Ladies’ College for 24 years
- Teacher at the VCA for more than ten years
- Teaching Classical Saxophone at Monash University
- A range of roles at Caulfield Grammar School, including teaching, composing, arranging and conducting
Highlights as a Composer
- Compositions for solo saxophone and big band
- Published composer for Reedmusic and Brolga Music Publishing Company
- Having pieces on the syllabus for Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) and Australian Music Examination Board (AMEB)
- Commissions from the Australian Music Centre, Presbyterian Ladies’ College, Caulfield Grammar School and St Kevin’s College
Highlights as an Arranger
- Chief Arranger for all fifteen seasons of Channel 7’s Dancing with the Stars (2004-2015)
- Arranger for the MSO
- Arranger for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra (SSO)
- Arranger for Victorian State Schools Spectactular
- Arranger for many big bands, school orchestras and various other ensembles
Highlights as a Songwriter
- Songwriting has been a personal interest for 30 years, but is now playing a greater role in my professional life also
- Writing the score, including all songs and some lyrics, for the musical version of The Getting of Wisdom, produced by Presbyterian Ladies’ College in 2005
- Writing three short musicals for Hartwell Players:
I can’t get enough of music! I consider myself extremely lucky to be as immersed in music as I am, and to have so many opportunities to help others experience and enjoy it too.
Making good music has to be good for the world!